Hey Secret Pal, thanks for visiting! Here's some info for you, drop me a line if you have any other questions.
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
Yarn snob, yup. I love great quality wool (keep me away from the scratchy kind)--almost every time I've compromised for something of a lesser quality, it's made me angry. I also like great quality cotton.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I know how to crochet, but I prefer the look of knitting. I'm amazed by spinners, but I'm not one.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
Dislike smoke and dog hair. I have a mild trinket and knick-knack allergy.
4. How long have you been knitting?
Off-and-on for many many years. I knit ridiculous projects as a kid, then mostly boyfriend and gift-like items in my late teens and early twenties, then picked it up again steadily last winter.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I don't buy a lot of books because I can get most books from the library. I do I have a YesAsia wishlist with things that I can't find locally though. I can't seem to get the link to the wishlist to work, feel free to log in and check (user: email@example.com, pass: clickclick -- there's no personal or credit card type info in here or anything, it's basically just a list).
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) I generally don't care for scents, but I'm a big fan of anything Bath and Body Works, especially their new lemony lotion products. I wish Canada had BBW stores.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I really like it all. I've always wanted to be better at sewing, my only contact with a sewing machine these past few years has involved a duster, only to make myself feel that I'm not neglecting it. I believe one day I will make a cute japanese purse, and possibly parts of a quilt (I have little confidence in my ability to finish anything of this size).
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like most music made by musicians. Actual musicians. I like live shows and listen to a lot of radio, of the public radio variety--I think KCRW really hits the mark in promoting talented musicians in a variety of genres. My computer/stereo plays MP3s; I love discovering new artists.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I've been all over the cool baby blues and pinks this year, especially the multicolour yarns, but I love just about everything. I would say the only colours I stay away from are hunter greens and burgundys and wild neon-y colours, everything else is just peachy.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Live with boyfriend and cat.
12. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I don't like scratchy wool, and am always looking for nice butter soft stuff that wears well. I've recently fallen in love with Cascade 220, and am loving the merino wool. I've also recently made amends with cotton, which is nice and cool to knit with in the summer. And then there's the bamboo and soy yarns I keep drooling over, and Lornas Laces that keeps catching my eye. Mostly I'm falling in love with yarns I can't get locally.
13. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Scratchy wool, acrylic and mohair make me scowl.
14. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I've just started making sweaters, and am a bit daunted by the commitment it takes to make these. I have great respect for sweater knitters, and I'm a bit afraid that I won't be able to bring a finished object of this variety around the bend. I keep thinking of small projects I can make instead of working on one of the 3 sweaters I've started. Currently, I'm thinking that knitting socks would be neat, but I haven't been able to find a pattern that I like. Does a pattern that has a smooth heel and toe exist?? Plus, I feel like I'm cheating on the sweaters by even thinking of socks. I really do think I'll make socks one day, especially because I suspect that the first time I come face to face with some Lornas Laces, or some other variety of butter soft hand-dyed sock yarn, I'll want to buy it up immediately and start knitting socks. (Please don't tell the sweaters.)
15. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Mittens! So fast, so easy, and loved by all. Who doesn't love mittens?
16. What are you knitting right now?
Officially, 3 sweaters, all in cotton, although none of them get much attention. I knit 6 rows of a Phildar sweater last Sunday. :(
17. What do you think about ponchos?
18. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Circular, love love love addi-turbos and addi bamboos.
19. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?See above.
20. Are you a sock knitter?
Contemplating it. ...Guiltily.
21. How did you learn to knit?
My grandpa taught me when I was 8.
22. How old is your oldest UFO?
8 years. I have a few knit in the round fair-isle-y sweaters that I started with a roommate years ago. Sweaters really are hard to finish. I blame the acrylic yarn for these unfinished objects.
23. Is there anything that you collect?
I have a weakness for vintage and strange board games from yard sales and second-hand stores.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None, but I flip through the Rebecca and Phildar magazines at local shops, and sometimes pick up Interweave Knits.
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I'm really amazed by the quirkiness of Japanese styles, and would like to get my hands on some actual patterns.